Dishwashers are the ultimate timesaver in the kitchen, well that’s when they are working properly. They are the opposite of a timesaver when they aren’t working properly as you will end up having to wash your dishes by hand after they have been through a cycle.
If your dishes aren’t washing up to scratch, there may be a few simple things you can try yourself at home before seeking professional repair.
- Cleaning salt– salt softens the water which allows the detergent to clean properly. Even if your detergent contains salt, it is still necessary to use it especially if you live in a hard water area.
Tip: only add salt when you are planning to use your dishwasher as using too much of it may result in the salt coming into contact with the metal surface of the dishwasher, which may lead to erosion over time.
- Rinse aid– designed to stop streaking, particularly on glassware. Always make sure that you are using the right amount of rinse aid as too much of it can result in a blue frothy foam and too little will result in streaks. The dial can be adjusted to set the right amount for your load.
- Detergent– this is what does the groundwork for your dishes when it comes to cleaning your products. Detergent, cleaning salt and rinse aid combined together should give you sparkling clean results.
- Lime scale remover– for better results, dissolve solution into a spray bottle and spray on affected areas. Pour the rest of the solution into the dishwasher and put on a hot cycle. It is advised to do this once a month to keep up the efficiency of your dishwasher.
- Filer assembly– this is designed to stop food getting into the pipes. Remove the filter from the bottom compartment of the dishwasher. Clean the filter thoroughly as it is likely to have captured a build-up of food overtime. Also check if the filer has any holes as this will affect its effectiveness. If so, the filter can be replaced inexpensively.
- Spray arm– make sure that you organise your dishwasher load in working order. It is important that you do not block the spray arm from being able to move properly during the cycle. You can raise the level of the dishwasher tray if you need more space at the bottom of the dishwasher for your load.
Over time your dishwasher will store a build-up of dirt which will affect the cleanliness of your dishes. As your dishwasher is being used to clean, it is important that the appliance itself is kept clean in order to achieve best results.
– To partake with a deep clean, fill a sink with hot water and a good cleaning detergent.
– Remove all holders and racks and use a sponge to wipe down any dirt.
– Use a small item, such as a toothpick, to clear any dirt from the holes in the spinning arms.
– Wash around the inside edges of your dishwasher with a clean sponge and cleaning detergent. Rinse with clean water afterwards.
– If any mildew is present, use bleach sparingly to remove the build-up.
– Clean any other areas of your dishwasher where necessary.
– Replace all loose parts of the dishwasher back into its place.
To make sure that your dishwasher remains cleaning to the best of its ability, it is recommended that you deep clean your dishwasher every few months (depending on how often it is used) as well as using the correct and sufficient amount of cleaning products for each cycle.
Read on to find out about dishwasher repair.